Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Which Front Pad
Which Front Pad
Re: Carving on Skimboard
Re: Deck pad
Futures Fins Alpha Fin Release

Surface 360...help

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

Surface 360...help

Postby coloradokiter » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:32 am

I've been trying and trying to get a hooked in surface 360, where you just rotate a full circle under your kite with the board. I can't get it..... :cry: I either get the board to far away (upwind) of me around the 180 mark or I get around and just fall back. sometimes I make it around and fall back but still have enough control to dive the kite hard and get right back up. I seem to always end up almost sitting back at the end. I've probably have tried about 50 to 70 now :roll:

So are there any tips that I can get that I can concentrate on during my next session? Should the kite be stationary at 12 or slowly progressing to 12 or something else? I try to keep equal hand pressure on the bar but not sure if that's right. should I think of the bar like a backroll where I pull forward around the 270 mark? I try to stand tall but should I really concentrate on leaning upwind just a bit so that the board doesn't slide out? I thought it would be easier :oops: ...duh :oops:

thanks, Joel
coloradokiter
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: Surface 360 (Ole)...help

Postby Lonny » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:52 am

Hey Joel,

The trick you are describing in your post is called an Ole. It does take a bit of practice to get this trick, but I am sure you will get it quickly - especially with a few pointers. It can be done with a bunch of variations - hooked, un-hooked, going the same direction, in a transition, out of toe side, etc. The first Ole to work on is the way you are trying them, hooked in and going the same direction. Come into the move with good speed, but not too much. As you approach doing the Ole go downwind a little, do not head up or edge against your kite to try the Ole. Try to head downwind on a smooth piece of water with less chop. If you rotate in chop it can throw you off your board easily. As you head downwind bring your kite up to 12 - 12:30. To do the Ole going the same direction you do not want pull going either way. You are going to try to rotate directly under your kite and at this point in the trick you do not want pull in any direction from your kite because it will pull you off your board. When you do an Ole you are releasing your edge, which is what keeps you on your skimmer - especially without fins. :wink: In any skim trick once you release your edge kite placement is critical because you can be very easily thrown off your board - no straps! Heck, that is what makes it fun right? 8)

Once your kite is above your head rotate underneath your kite. Personally, I like to take my front hand off the bar and leave my back hand on. Generally, you do not need to worry about your feet placement. If they were balanced before you entered the trick you should be good through the whole Ole. With my back hand I push against the bar a bit to initiate the rotation. Once you push you should come around 360 without any problem. Then just dive the kite back the same direction you were going. As you work on this trick you will develop more and more speed, feel, and balance that will allow you to dive the kite more quickly and develop a smooth move. I always believe in working on style and fluidity with a trick. I would rather do 3 tricks perfectly, and with style vs. 20 tricks with no style.

If you have small waves where you ride it can be fun to do them on the backside of a wave that just dumped, where it is nice and smooth, or even more fun, down the wave face! :twisted: For now just work on doing the in the smoothest water you can find, going the same direction. Do not worry if you are not getting a lot of speed out of the move initially. First you just need to get the feel for the trick, and the mental grasp of it. Once you get the basics down you can add speed and your style. There are quite a few Oles are in the Skim Stoke too.

Go out there, and do some for me! What I wouldn't give to do one Ole now. Freakin wind! :cry:

Let me know if this helped, and how I might be able to help you some more.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Re: Surface 360...help

Postby coloradokiter » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:40 pm

Thanks Lonny, I have not been bearing off downwind so I'll add that in tomorrow. Pushing with the backhand makes a lot of sense since I forsee my front hand helping my balance. Down here on South Padre we've been getting wind everyday this summer. It's been unreal. Very gusty, sometimes 12 to 15 mph variances but totally manageable. I've been mostly on a 10 or 12 this summer nearly daily. Sorry your not getting the wind too.

I'll keep the thread informed.

Joel
coloradokiter
Getting Wet

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy